Benjeman Nichols is known for his tireless work ethic and his attention to detail. He concentrates his practice in plaintiff personal injury law, including medical malpractice, products liability, premises liability, and wrongful death.
Mr. Nichols recently assisted in a complex birth injury case, which resulted in a $2.5 million settlement. He is currently working on a variety of cases, including cases involving negligent surgery which resulted in permanent nerve damage; negligent hospital care resulting in severe and infected skin ulcers; and failure to provide adequate resuscitation at birth which resulted in severe brain injury. He also is defending the rights of several children whose father died from severe heat while in prison. He has delivered lectures to a variety of groups, including a panel of Chicago physicians, where he presented on medical malpractice law. Most recently, Mr. Nichols spoke as a panel member on a continuing legal education seminar about medical malpractice case evaluation.
Before joining Cavanagh Law Group, Mr. Nichols represented many of Chicago's major hospitals in medical malpractice cases, as well as a number of manufactures, distributors and other defendants in a variety of personal injury matters. He earned degrees in Music Education and Humanities from Valparaiso University in 1999 and was a music educator in the Chicago Public Schools. He is a Fulbright Scholar who researched East German Lutheran church music in Dresden, Germany, where he worked and studied for several years. He is fluent in both English and German. Mr. Nichols attended law school at Loyola University Chicago, where he was a Corboy Trial Team Advocacy Fellow, a Joan Marie Corboy Advocacy Scholar, an editor of the International Law Review, and a frequent member of the Dean's List. Mr. Nichols was also twice a judicial extern to the Honorable Blanche Manning in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
In addition to his legal practice, Mr. Nichols serves on the Board of Directors for Vox 3 Collective, Inc., a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization which is committed to arts education. He is an active member of the Chicago Bar Association.
Areas of Practice
- Medical Malpractice
- Plaintiff's Personal Injury Law
- Products Liability
- Premises Liability
- Wrongful Death
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 2007
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois, 2010
- Supreme Court of Illinois, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 2012
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. - 2007
- Honors: Phillip Corboy Trial Team Fellow
- Honors: Joan Marie Corboy Scholarship for Excellence in Trial Advocacy
- Technische Universität, Dresden, Germany
- Guest Student in International Relations - 2004
- Carl Maria von Weber Hochschule für Musik- 2001
- Honors: Fulbright Scholar
- Valparaiso University
- Bachelor of Music Education (Magna Cum Laude) - 1999
- Lecturer, Variety of Groups, including a Panel of Chicago Physicians, Medical Malpractice Law (Most Recently)
- Speaker, Panel Member, Medical Malpractice Case Evaluation, Continuing Legal Education Seminar
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Chicago Bar Association, Member
- Vox 3 Collective, Inc., Board of Directors
Past Employment Positions
- Honorable Blanche Manning in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Judicial Extern
- English (Primary)