Matthew Rundio is a partner at Cavanagh Law Group where he concentrates his legal practice in plaintiff personal injury law. Mr. Rundio has been representing and advocating on behalf of plaintiffs in personal injury and wrongful death cases for over fifteen years. Mr. Rundio has represented victims of auto, trucking, railroad, construction and nursing home negligence, as well as victims of premises liability and product liability injuries. Mr. Rundio has prosecuted plaintiff personal injury cases that have resulted in tens of millions of dollars of recovery for his clients through verdicts and settlements. Mr. Rundio’s dedication, aggressive advocacy, and extensive knowledge of the law has resulted in many noteworthy jury verdicts and settlements, including the following:
- $13.7 million verdict in a wrongful death car crash case;
- $4.5 million settlement in a wrongful death product liability and van crash case;
- $4.1 million settlement in a motor vehicle crash case;
- $3 million settlement in a premises liability case where the plaintiff suffered a chronic pain condition as a result of an electric shock;
- $1.9 million settlement in a motorcycle collision case where the plaintiff suffered a traumatic brain injury;
- $1.8 million settlement in a railroad derailment case that settled one week into trial;
- $1.5 million settlement in a fatal railroad grade crossing collision case;
- $1.1 million settlement in an automobile collision/medical malpractice case that went to verdict once and settled one week into retrial against certain defendants;
- $1.02 million settlement in a car/pedestrian crash case;
- $1 million settlement in a construction fall case;
- $1 million settlement in a one-car crash case;
- $1 million settlement in a car/truck crash case;
- $1 million settlement in a van/truck crash case;
- $900,000 settlement in a nursing home negligence case; and
- $750,000 settlement in an Animal Control Act case.
Mr. Rundio’s success in the legal field has led to him being named to the list of the Law Bulletin Publishing Company’s “40 Illinois Attorneys Under 40 to Watch.” He was named to the National Trial Lawyers “Top 40 Under 40” from 2013-2015. Mr. Rundio was also named as a Super Lawyer from 2014 - 2016 and was recognized as an “Illinois Rising Star” by Illinois Super Lawyers from 2008 to 2014. Additionally, Mr. Rundio earned a Pro Bono Service Award in 2013 from Chicago Volunteer Legal Services.
Mr. Rundio has been a guest lecturer at an array of seminars throughout his career including seminars sponsored by the Illinois State Bar Association and by the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association.
Mr. Rundio began his education at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and he went on to earn his Juris Doctor degree in 2000 from Loyola University of Chicago School of Law. He continues to stay involved with his alma mater through his work with the Law School First Year Law Student Mentoring Program at Loyola University of Chicago. He also volunteers and provides Pro Bono legal services through the St. Clement Church Legal Aid Society.
Loyola University of Chicago School of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D., 2000
University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
- B.S., 1997
- Illinois State Bar, 2000
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois, General Bar, 2000